الجرافيك Man bathing before worship
1996 (Founding Member)
The Indonesian National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) was initially established by Presidential Decree (Decree of the President of the Republic of Indonesia No 50/1993) on 7 June 1993.
In 1999, the legal foundation of the Commission was re-established after legislation passed the Indonesian House of Representatives (Legislation Number 39 of 1999 Concerning Human Rights).
Role and functions
Komnas HAM has a mandate to:
- Conduct human rights education and disseminate information about human rights at the national and international level
- Monitor international treaties on human rights that the Commission may propose to the government for their ratification or accession
- Monitor and investigate the implementation of human rights, and in consequence of which to extend its opinion, consideration and proposal to the related government agencies in order to continuously improve the observance of human rights
- Cooperate with regional and international agencies for the continuous protection of human rights.
Komnas HAM has a series of sub-committees which focus on human rights education and promotion; law reform and international treaties; human rights monitoring and implementation; and complaints and mediation.
Siti Noor Laila
Deputy Chairperson (Internal Relations)
Deputy Chairperson (External Relations)
Muhammad Nur Khoiron
Professor Hafid Abbas
Otto Nur Abdullah
APF 8: Human Rights Protections & National Security, Indonesian National Commission on Human Rights01 ديسمبر 2015 أندونيسيا
- Man bathing before worship - Jelle Oostrom, Flickr; http://bit.ly/1SXZJGD