21st APF Annual Meeting, 2016
Graphic: NGO representative addresses APF 21 Annual Meeting
The 21st APF Annual Meeting brought together all 22 APF members, along with representatives from other NHRIs in the Asia Pacific region.
The 21st APF Annual Meeting was held in Bangkok, Thailand, from 26-27 October 2016. It brought together all 22 APF member institutions, along with representatives from the national human rights institutions of Bahrain, Fiji, Iraq and Pakistan.
During the meeting, APF members provided a short overview of their current activities and priorities, as well as participated in an open dialogue with NGOs from the region on issues of shared concern.
Applications from the NHRIs of Bahrain and Iraq to join the APF were considered by Forum Councillors.
The two-day meeting also discussed:
- An APF report on the death penalty in the Asia Pacific that members can draw on when advocating with their governments to move towards a de facto moratorium or abolition of the death penalty
- Strategies to build on recent developments that have opened the path for the independent participation of NHRIs in the work of the UN General Assembly and other New-York based UN bodies, including the Commission on the Status of Women
- A proposal to refresh the APF's governance structure to better meet the needs of our growing membership.
Graphic: Observers at the APF 21 Annual Meeting
Meeting papers and presentations
- NGO representative addresses APF 21 Annual Meeting - APF
- Observers at the APF 21 Annual Meeting - APF