South East Asian NHRIs continue their collaboration
الجرافيك Group shot of participants at the SEANF meeting
The meeting addressed a broad range of issues of concerns to the NHRIs of Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Timor-Leste.
The Provedor for Human Rights and Justice of Timor-Leste hosted the 2nd Techincal Working Group Meeting of the South East Asia National Human Right Institutions Forum (SEANF), held in Dili, Timor-Leste, from 23-25 July 2019.
The first day of the meeting looked the inquiry on climate change conducted by the Commission for Human Right of the Philippines, which included discussion about the concept of creating inter-NHRI inquiry panels on issues of shared concern.
This was followed by a presentation and discussion on the SEANF Guidelines on Torture Prevention in South East Asia, facilitated by the Association for Prevention of Torture.
The second and third days of the meeting examined issues related to the SEANF Action Plan:
- Movement of people in the region, including migrant workers, refugees and asylum seekers, and victims of human trafficking
- Environment and human rights, including climate justice and the right to health
- Business and human rights
- Preventing and countering violent extremism
- The rights of vulnerable groups, including persons with disabilities, women, children, indigenous peoples and minorities, older persons and LGBTI persons
- Sustainable Development Goals, including the right to water.
The meeting also discussed agenda items for SEANF Annual Meeting, to be held in Dili, Timor Leste, from 22-24 October 2019.
The Chairpersons of SEANF member institutions are expected to participate in the Annual Meeting, where it is expected that the national human rights institutions (NHRIs) of Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines will sign an agreement on statelessness.
Membership of SEANF includes the NHRIs of Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Timor-Leste.
Date: 2 August 2019
Source: SEANF/Provedor for Human Rights and Justice of Timor Leste
- Group shot of participants at the SEANF meeting - PDHJ