SUHAKAM begins inquiry into disappearance of pastor and three others
الجرافيك Graphic of a person's silhouette and the word 'Missing'
The inquiry is examining the disappearances of Pastor Raymond Koh; social activist Amri Che Mat; Pastor Joshua and his wife, Ruth Hilmi.
The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (SUHAKAM) commenced a ten-day public inquiry into the disappearances of four people - Pastor Raymond Koh, social activist Amri Che Mat; Pastor Joshua and his wife, Ruth Hilmi – on Thursday 19 October.
The inquiry is chaired by Commissioner Datuk Mah Weng Kwai, who stressed that it was neither a criminal nor civil trial. Prof Dato' Dr Aishah Bidin and Dr. Nik Salida Suhaila bt Nik Saleh are also on the panel inquiry team.
"The goal of the inquiry is to arrive at truth and justice," Commissioner Mah said at the start of the inquiry.
Koh, 62, was abducted from his car by a group of men along Jalan SS4B/10 in Petaling Jaya on 13 February 2017 while on his way to a friend's house. His silver-coloured car has not been found.
Prior to the inquiry, SUHAKAM recorded 35 statements from witnesses.
The terms of reference for the Inquiry are:
- To determine whether these are cases of enforced disappearances as defined under the International Convention for Protection of all Persons from Enforced Disappearances or are cases of involuntary disappearances in breach or breaches of the criminal and/or civil law and/or applicable human rights laws;
- If the above has been established at the inquiry:
- How such alleged breach or breaches came about;
- To identify person(s) or agency(ies) responsible for such alleged breach or breaches;
- What administrative directives or procedures, or arrangements contributed to such alleged breach or breaches.
- To consider whether the authorities, specifically the Royal Malaysia Police have taken adequate steps to investigate such alleged breach or breaches
- To recommend measures or guidelines to be taken to ensure that such alleged breach or breaches do not recur
Date: 19 October 2017
- Graphic of a person's silhouette and the word 'Missing' - Human Rights Commission of Malaysia