Graphic: Public participating in an event hosted by the Australian Human Rights Commission
Australia: New report urges significant changes to protect human rights of intersex people01 Nov 2021 Australia
Australia: Report recommends action to prevent human rights harms in business sector24 Sep 2021 Australia
Australia: Calls for immediate action to manage COVID-19 risk to people in immigration detention30 Jun 2021 Australia
1996 (Founding Member)
The Australian Human Rights Commission is an independent statutory body established by Australia's federal Parliament under the Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986.
It has four key areas of responsibility:
- Human rights education and public awareness
- Resolving complaints of discrimination and human rights violations
- Promoting human rights compliance
- Contributing to policy and legislative development.
Role and functions
The Commission is responsible for inquiring into alleged infringements under the following federal laws:
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- Age Discrimination Act 2004
- Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986.
It also has functions to foster public discussion; undertake and coordinate research and educational programs; conduct national inquiries on human rights and issues of major importance; review, propose or advise on legislation relating to human rights and to monitor its implementation; and make recommendations to government on policies and proposals related to human rights and discrimination issues.
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner has a specific function to monitor the human rights situation and issues facing Indigenous Australians.
Emeritus Professor Rosalind Croucher AM
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner
National Children's Commissioner
Dr Kay Patterson
Age Discrimination Commissioner
Sex Discrimination Commissioner
Dr Ben Gauntlett
Disability Discrimination Commissioner
Race Discrimination Commissioner
Human Rights Commissioner
- Public participating in an event hosted by the Australian Human Rights Commission - Australian Human Rights Commission