Graphic: SUHAKAM staff member recording a statement of a person immigration detention
2002 (7th Annual Meeting)
The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (SUHAKAM) was established by Parliament under the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia Act 1999.
The Act was gazetted on 9 September 1999 and the inaugural meeting of SUHAKAM was held on 24 April 2000.
Role and functions
SUHAKAM's mandate includes the responsibility to:
- Promote awareness of and provide education in relation to human rights
- Advise and assist the Government in formulating legislation and administrative directives and procedures and recommend the necessary measures to be taken
- Make recommendations to the Government regarding the subscription or accession of treaties and other international instruments in the field of human rights
- Inquire into complaints regarding infringement of human rights.
SUHAKAM has established specific working groups have been established to focus on human rights education and promotion; law reform and international treaties; economic, social and cultural rights; and complaints and inquiries.
Tan Sri Othman Bin Hashim
Datuk Lok Yim Pheng
Dato' Mah Weng Kwai
Mr Jerald Joseph
Prof Madya Dr Nik Salida Suhaila Binti Nik Saleh
Dato' Seri Mohd Hishamudin Bin Md Yunus
Datuk Godfrey Gregory Joitol
Dr Madeline Berma
2019 APF Conference: Presentation by Human Rights Commission of Malaysia20 Sep 2019 Malaysia
- SUHAKAM staff member recording a statement of a person immigration detention - SUHAKAM