NHRC listens to pleas of Rohingya refugees
Graphic: The Chair of the National Human Rights Commission of Bangladesh meets with Rohingya refugees
The Commission's monitoring team travelled to Cox's Bazar to meet with the refugees from Myanmar and listen to their stories and concerns.
The National Human Rights Commission of Bangladesh, led by Chairperson Kazi Reazul Hoque and member Nurun Naher Osmani, joined with UNDP representatives to visit the Kutupalong & Balukhali Rohingya refugee camp, Cox's Bazar on 10 September 2017.
The team met with a number of refugees to hear their stories and concerns, and also talked to the local administration, NGOs and international agencies providing humanitarian assistance.
"The killing, arson, torture and rape is unprecedented. The international community needs to create pressure on Myanmar to stop this genocide," the Commission Chairperson told a press conference afterwards.
"Our recommendation to the government is to handle the crisis diplomatically and, if it does not work, this genocide will need to be tried in an international court," he said.
Mr Hoque also said stronger action was needed from the international community, including the United Nations, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. He also called on China and India to play a larger role in mitigating the crisis.
Earlier, on 7 September, the Commission met with civil society organisations and others to discuss the way forward to deal with the crisis.
As per the decision taken at the meeting, the NHRC has sent official letter calling for action to end the genocide to the following human rights organisations:
- Global Alliance for National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI)
- National human rights institutions of different countries including Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and Indonesia.
- UN Human Rights Commission
- ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights
- Asia Pacific Forum
- Human Rights Unit, Commonwealth secretariat
- South Asia Initiative to End Violence against Children
- Organisation of Islamic States
Date: 13 September 2017
- The Chair of the National Human Rights Commission of Bangladesh meets with Rohingya refugees - National Human Rights Commission of Bangladesh