Request for Proposal: Expert Gender Consultant
Experienced consultants are requested to submit their proposal by 28 June 2021.
A fundamental goal of the APF is to support the establishment of independent NHRIs in the region and to strengthen our members to promote and protect human rights. We also bring our members together, and build partnerships with others, in order to tackle some of the most serious and complex human rights challenges facing our region.
Promoting gender equality is one of the APF's six key strategic priorities and developing member capacity in this area, has been crucial to achieving this strategic goal. The APF's approach to this work is a two-pronged process: gender specialisation, of which the APF has already developed training packages for members on the human rights of women and girls; and gender mainstreaming.
Scope of Engagement
The Expert Gender Consultant, in close collaboration with the APF secretariat, will work to design, produce, and deliver an overarching capacity development programme on gender equality. The programme must be developed based on, and using, existing APF resources.
Specifically, the consultant will:
- Design and develop a learning programme on gender equality at the introductory level comprised of online self-facilitated courses on gender equality and mainstreaming, and specialisation, including advising on additional content development and for audio/visual materials.
- Provide support and advice to assist the facilitation of the introductory course for the NHRI of Iraq, through the APF Community platform, as well as remote 'Question and Answer' sessions with course participants.
- Review and update the course content following learning from implementing the course for the NHRI of Iraq; and facilitation of the course to the broader APF member NHRIs,including providing advice for long-term engagement and capacity development of APF Gender Network. The APF secretariat will support the consultant in the facilitation and delivery of the course.
- Provide support to the APF to conduct and facilitate a gender audit of two NHRIs, using the APF resource, 'Facilitating a NHRI Gender Audit, including facilitating an online and remote course on conducting a gender audit for staff of the NHRI.
- Provide high-level advice to the APF on monitoring, evaluation, learning and accountability (MEAL) of the APF gender programme outlined in above activities.
(The NHRI of Iraq has been identified as one of NHRIs for the gender audit. The APF strongly encourages persons with both Arabic and English language skills to apply).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
The Consultant will have demonstrated experience and expertise in:
- Demonstrated high-level expertise in developing content and delivering capacity development programmes in relation to gender equality, gender analysis, gender mainstreaming and the human rights of women and girls
- Strong understanding of adult-centred learning, creating learning environments, creating training modules and curriculum, including for online and remote learning and facilitation
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in working with NHRIs, especially in the Asia Pacific region, and familiarity of working with APF resources; and
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills including writing, working effectively to deliver outputs on time, flexible working approach and open to working in a complex environment with a small team.
Additionally, the Consultant will need to:
Act in a professional manner and adhere to the APF Code of Conduct, including any other relevant policies and guidelines.
Download the Request for Proposal from the APF website.
Please email your proposal to Ms Aishath Fasoha (Faso), Manager of Gender and Pacific Programmes, email@example.com by 17:00 (AEST), 28 June 2021
- Rawpixel on Shutterstock