APF-GANHRI advocacy at the 63rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
الجرافيك Commissioner Karen Gomez-Dumpit addresses the NHRI side event at CSW 62
Four NHRIs from the Asia Pacific will join with counterparts from Europe and Africa to continue their advocacy efforts at the CSW 63.
Four national human rights institutions (NHRIs) from the Asia Pacific will join with their counterparts from Europe and Africa to take part in discussions and advocacy efforts at the 63rd Session of Commission on the Status of Women.
The priority theme for CSW 63 is social protection systems, access to public services and sustainable infrastructure for gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
Senior representatives from the NHRIs of Afghanistan, Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines will take part in a range of events during the two-week session in New York, which brings together governments, NGOs and policy makers.
With support from the APF and the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI), they will continue their ongoing campaign to secure the independent participation of NHRIs in the work of CSW.
Unlike at the Human Rights Council, 'A status' NHRIs are not able to participate in their own right in meetings of the CSW and can only attend as part of their country's government delegation, if they are invited, or with the support of an accredited NGO.
The advocacy by the APF, GANHRI and individual NHRIs resulted in stand-alone paragraph in the Agreed Conclusion, adopted at the conclusion of CSW 62, that "encourages the [CSW] secretariat to continue its consideration of how to enhance the participation, including at the sixty-third session of the Commission, of national human rights institutions that are fully compliant with the principles relating to the status of national institutions for the promotion and protection of human rights (Paris Principles), where they exist, in compliance with the rules of procedure of the Economic and Social Council".
As part of the NHRI campaign at CSW 63:
- Florence Simbiri-Jaoko (GANHRI Special Envoy), Dr Sima Samar (Chairperson, Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission) and Kate Jenkins (Australian Sex Discrimination Commissioner) will address a high-level interactive dialogue on 'Accelerating implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action'
- An APF-GANHRI-UNFPA side event on 'Advancing gender equality and sexual and reproductive health rights' will feature speakers from the NHRIs of the Afghanistan, Philippines, Georgia and Northern Ireland, as well as UNFPA's Deputy Executive Director.
- CSW 63: NHRI Call for Action
- CSW 63: Talking Points for NHRI Advocacy
- CSW 63 Side Event Concept Note on Advancing Gender Equality and SRHR: the Role of NHRIs
- CSW 63: Side Event Flyer on Advancing Gender Equality and SRHR: the Role of NHRIs
- CSW 62: APF Report on NHRI Engagement
- CSW 62: Agreed Conclusions
- Commissioner Karen Gomez-Dumpit addresses the NHRI side event at CSW 62 - APF/Joel Sheakoski