APF Regional Consultation on Reproductive Rights
Graphic: Mother and baby, Bangladesh
The consultation provided an opportunity for APF members to identify concrete steps they could take to better promote and protect reproductive rights.
In June 2011, a regional consultation brought together representatives from APF member institutions, UNFPA and the APF secretariat.
Participants discussed the 2011 APF-UNFPA study, Integrating Reproductive Rights into the Work of National Human Rights Institutions of the Asia Pacific.
The consultation also provided an opportunity for APF members to identify concrete steps they could take to better promote and protect reproductive rights in their work.
Some common suggestions included:
- Updating their complaint systems to include a specific category for reproductive rights
- Providing training to build awareness and skills among staff and Commissioners
- Forging partnerships with experts and groups already working on the issue in their respective countries
- Drawing government and community attention to the issue.
- Mother and baby, Bangladesh - Shutterfreak, Flickr; http://bit.ly/1VyjRWh