We support NHRIs as they work to build fair, just and inclusive communities.
We bring about change by supporting the establishment of national human rights institutions in the Asia Pacific and strengthening the capacity of our members to carry out their vital work.
Through the sustained and dedicated efforts of our members, the APF is helping to build an Asia Pacific where everyone can enjoy their human rights.
OUR IMPACT IN 2020-21
We work collaboratively with our members and partners to contribute to long-term, sustainable change. In 2020-21, we:
- Developed the APF Community, an innovative online space for learning, collaboration and resources.
- Received the Taiwan Foundation for Democracy and Human Rights Award, in recognition of our human rights work in the region
- Developed an Arabic version of the APF foundations course 'Understanding NHRIs and the Paris Principles' to support our member institutions in West Asia
- With APF support, two institutions in the Asia Pacific region - the NHRIs of Fiji and Uzbekistan - were accredited for the first time
- Created six online capacity development courses, delivered to 128 NHRI staff across the Asia Pacific region
- Published a gender audit toolkit to support NHRIs to promote gender equality and mainstream gender into their work
- Launched the APF Regional Action Plan on Human Rights Defenders (HRDs), which sets out the regional and national actions that the APF and our member institutions will carry out over the next four years to improve the rights of HRDs in the Asia Pacific
- Provided over 162 hours of advice to governments and members on NHRI legislation, as part of our program on NHRI establishment, and spent 210 hours supporting NHRIs with accreditation
Read our latest Annual Reports below to discover more about our work supporting NHRIs.